What is a podcast? 10 things it is and isn’t
What is a podcast? It’s a question on the minds of many. Podcasts are becoming increasingly popular, both in the consumption and creation of them. To help expand your mind and understand their true potential, this blog post will share 10 things they are and are not.
10 Things A Podcast Is And Isn’t
1. What a podcast is: In its simplest form, a podcast is just an audio file from a recorded conversation. Many people over think what they are or should be. When you strip away everything and focus only the end result you start to see how easy and accessible creating one can be.
2. What a podcast isn’t: A podcast doesn’t have to take much time. It doesn’t have to be an hour long show with fancy intro’s and outro’s that are highly produced like Serial. They can be a conversation between two or more people, or it can be a conversation between the host and the audience. A podcast can be as short as one minute and take very little time to create (if you choose). I mention this because “I don’t have enough time” is an excuse many people tell themselves for why they don’t create one.
3. What a podcast is: A podcast is an opportunity to build your brand. By creating a platform for yourself, you get the opportunity to get your voice out there, engage an audience, and do so in a way that creates growth. The more episodes you create, the more opportunities you give for others to dive into your world and the wonderful things you have to offer. This becomes a great compliment to marketing mix.
4. What a podcast isn’t: A podcast isn’t hard to create. So often people who think about launching one believe it’s hard because they don’t know what they are doing. Uncertainty leads to inaction. To successfully launch one takes commitment, the right process to follow, and consistent action.
5. What a podcast is: A podcast is an opportunity to become a thought leader. By sharing your knowledge and getting your voice out there you’ll give others the opportunity to know, love, and trust you. When you rinse and repeat long enough you’ll become someone people in your industry respect and admire. (If you want to elevate your thought leadership then this formula will help you create more growth).
6. What a podcast isn’t: A podcast isn’t just for celebrities and people who are on TV. Anyone can create a show and have it be awesome (really). The key is you have a point of view you want to share with the world, and do so in a way that inspires, educates, or entertains. Step into your greatness and shine your light with the world!
7. What a podcast is: A podcast is an opportunity to build relationships with anyone you want. Because you are creating a platform for yourself, you are able to use that to elevate others and help tell their story. Remember: everyone loves to talk about themselves, so people are inclined to want to talk to you if you give them a good reason (and your show is that reason).
8. What a podcast isn’t: A podcast isn’t cost prohibitive. You can create one with the computer and phone you already have. The only equipment I highly recommend you purchase is a microphone, and a good one can be purchased for around $100. You can dig deeper on this with our Podcast Starter Kit.
9. What a podcast is: A podcast is an opportunity to create positive impact. By sharing knowledge and experience with others, or bringing people together over a topic or cause, you can make the world a better place one person at a time. The world needs more people who are willing to help others. And a crazy thing happens. When you give to the world eventually it’ll come back to you. (If you want to create more impact then this 3 Step Formula will help).
10. What a podcast isn’t: A podcast isn’t scary to create. Many people get stopped because they don’t like the sound of their voice, or don’t feel comfortable putting themselves out there. All of that is self limiting beliefs that are not serving you, so please throw that in the trash. Good things happen when you put yourself out there, even at the beginning. You’ll find out that your audience will be very supportive of you, and your show will bring joy and love to everyone involved (yourself included).
Now that you are more knowledgable I want you to answer another question for yourself. Is creating a podcast for me? Do you have the desire to get your voice out there and elevate your thought leadership, have a positive impact on others, and build your brand? If so then I encourage you to step into it, even if you don’t have all the answers to how you’ll do it. What matters is you turn your curiosity into action.
I want to help you take the first step. I created a launch checklist that’ll share with you the exact steps you need to take to make your show a reality. You can get it here.